Can changes be made after the court issues a judgment?

When the court makes a ruling, the individuals involved are legally obligated to follow the order. The court expects people to abide by the order and continue to do so unless they get permission to make changes. Of course, neither the court or the individuals involved can predict what parts of the court order may need to be changed a few months or years down the road because no one can predict what circumstances will change in the future.

Some of the court orders that frequently need to be modified after years after they have been made include those related to child support, child custody, spousal support (alimony), and child visitation schedules. In order for the court to approve a post-judgment modification to a decision they previously made, the party who requests a change would have to prove that there has been a significant change in circumstance and therefore, needs the change to be approved.

Some of the valid reasons for which the court may approve a post-judgment modification include, but are not limited to the following:

  • medical issues
  • change or loss in employment
  • loss of income or wages
  • negative change in a child’s performance at school
  • behavioral issues of a child

If you have questions about how you might be able to modify a court order in New Jersey, contact our firm today.

Ross and Calandrillo, LLC is a full-service divorce, family, and real estate law firm in Mountainside, New Jersey. For strong legal representation in all of your family law matters,ย contact Ross and Calandrillo, LLCย to schedule a consultation.