Can modifications be made to marital issues post-judgment?

When divorces are decided on and all the issues are resolved, the newly single individuals will begin their separate lives. This may include payments of child support or alimony. It may also include child custody arrangements that must be followed. They will also have their newly divided assets that belong to them. However, some marital issues can be modified after the initial judgment is made. As life goes on, some individuals will need adjustment to be made based on changing circumstances in their lives. Since only the current circumstances are considered for marital issues, as time goes on the cases may need to be revisited.

What can cause modifications?

Child custody arrangements are important to follow. If parents are not following the correct arrangement, they may be brought to court. The best interests of the children should always be put first. Since their health and well-being can change, changes may need to be made to fit their lifestyle and safety. If one parent is refusing to follow court-ordered custody arrangements, the opposing parent can file a motion to bring them to court. In court, a judge may make a new arrangement based on the situation. When parents’ lives change, they may even request for a new change to the arrangement. The child’s interests may also change. If one parent notices odd behavior from the child, they may realize it is due to their time with their other parent. This can cause concern. The parent has the right to file a motion to investigate the matter and create a new child custody arrangement to better suit the child’s needs.

Alimony payments can also be modified or changed due to a variety of scenarios. Illness or death of the independent spouse may end or alter the payments they must make to the dependent spouse. Loss of employment is another factor that can affect alimony. If the independent spouse is refusing to pay the dependent spouse, a motion can be filed to bring them to court to settle the matter.

In the state of New Jersey, there is no official end to child support. It depends on more of a case by case basis rather than a specific age. When a child is considered emancipated from their parents, then child support may end. However, this can be different for each child depending on the case. If a child decides to attend college, they may need continuing financial support. A court can decide if a parent is legally obligated to provide child support for higher education.

Ross and Calandrillo, LLC is a full-service divorce, family, and real estate law firm located in Mountainside, New Jersey. For strong legal representation in all of your divorce or family law matters, contact Ross and Calandrillo, LLC to schedule a consultation.