Child Visitation in Union County

Unfortunately, when a couple gets divorced, the entire family feels the impacts. This is especially true if there are children involved. This often means that some family members may not be able to see the child nearly as much as they did prior to the divorce. If a family member wishes to continue an established relationship with a child, they may want to request visitation rights through the New Jersey court system.

When these matters become contested, the court will have to assess a number of different factors. Some of the factors that may be considered for matters of child visitation include the following:

  • The relationship between the child and the applicant
  • The relationship between the applicant and the child’s parent or guardian
  • When was the last time the child and the applicant had contact with one another
  • Whether the applicant is seeking visitation rights in good faith
  • Any risks that the applicant may pose to the child

It is important to be aware that not just any person who has had a relationship with the child can request visitation rights. Only parents, grandparents, and siblings can request visitation in New Jersey. However, aunts, uncles, cousins, and step-siblings can’t request a visitation order.

If you have questions about your rights, contact our firm today.

Ross and Calandrillo, LLC is a full-service divorce, family, and real estate law firm located in Mountainside, New Jersey. For strong legal representation in all of your divorce or family law matters, contact Ross and Calandrillo, LLC to schedule a consultation.