In some cases, when a couple is seeking a divorce, they may want to go through the proceedings outside of the courtroom. One of the most popular options outside of the courtroom is mediation. The process that occurs inside the courtroom is litigation. There are many factors to take into consideration when choosing which process to use. Filing for divorce can be overwhelming, so let us help you and reach out to Mountainside NJ Mediation for assistance.
What is divorce mediation and what are the benefits?
Mediation is a process that involves a neutral third party who will help both spouses reach a fair divorce settlement. . The following are the benefits of using mediation in New York:
- Mediation can save time. The length of mediation relies on the couple and will only take as long as they need to settle their marital issues.
- Spouses have control over making their own decisions. The court does not decide.
- The information discussed during mediation is kept confidential.
- Mediation is voluntary and can stop at any time.
The two most important reasons why mediation may work for you are:
- Cheaper than traditional litigation – Parties do not have to go through discovery or prepare for trial, which can be very expensive. Some divorces can be resolved with one mediation session.
- Relationships are preserved – Going through a divorce trial can put a strain on any relationship. Mediation can help to avoid the permanent scars that can come with litigation.
Having an open conversation about your problems and deciding how to move forward with your relationship should be something that can be discussed in a civil manner.
What is litigation?
Litigation is the most common method of obtaining a divorce. This can also be referred to as a contested divorce in which the spouses cannot agree on how to resolve particular issues. A judge decides on every condition of settlement. This process begins when one party files a complaint with the court, after which the court system sets a schedule for proceedings. Couples can settle at any time, but in reality, once couples have started a litigated divorce most people follow through with the process.
Which option is better?
Everyone’s situation is different. But mediation is usually the faster and less expensive route for couples looking to get divorced. However, to achieve this both parties have to be willing to come to agreements on the terms of their divorce in order for it to be effective.
Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Firm
Ross and Calandrillo, LLC is a full-service divorce, family, and real estate law firm located in Mountainside, New Jersey. For strong legal representation in all of your divorce or family law matters, contact Ross and Calandrillo, LLC to schedule a consultation.