Adopting a child is one of the most selfless and special acts a parent can do. To learn more about the different types of adoption in New Jersey and which process is best for you and your situation, continue reading and reach out to our experienced adoption attorney. Our firm is prepared to walk you through the steps ahead.
Different Types of Adoption Available in New Jersey
Our firm is dedicated to assisting families who are ready to open their homes. Adoption is not limited to the traditional process of a family taking in a young child in need. The following are some of the options available to families who are interested in adoption in New Jersey:
- Domestic Adoption: A United States resident adopting a child who was born in and lives in the United States
- International Adoption: Adopting a child from another country
- Open Domestic Adoptions: Adoptive child’s birth parents consent to the adoption and have ongoing contact with the child
- Private Adoption: Adopting a child through their biological parent or adopting a child the individual already knows. This option avoids the involvement of an adoption agency
- Stepparent Adoption: Adoption with the consent of the non-custodial parent or the termination of their biological parental rights. Termination is typically only under the grounds of abuse or neglect
- Second-Parent Adoption: A same-sex parent adopts their biological or adoptive child. This is done without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent
- Adult adoption: Two or more adults transfer inheritance rights and/or filiation
- LGBT Adoption: LGBT couples have the right to adopt a child in New Jersey
Adoption can be a document-heavy and invasive process that requires the assistance of a legal professional who will walk you through the steps ahead. You will be required to participate in training courses, home visits, reference checks, background checks, interviews, and more. Each type of adoption comes with its own set of obstacles including probes into your home life and past. This is why it is so important to retain the services of an experienced adoption attorney who is prepared to work with you, with your best interest in mind.
Proceeding with these adoption assessments deserves the attention of a knowledgeable adoption attorney. Give our firm a call today to learn more about our services and how we can assist you in the adoption process. We would be happy to walk you through each step of the way.
Contact our Firm
Ross and Calandrillo, LLC is a full-service divorce, family, and real estate law firm located in Mountainside, New Jersey. For strong legal representation in all of your divorce or family law matters, contact Ross and Calandrillo, LLC to schedule a consultation.