What can I do if my spouse isn’t following court orders?

When divorces occur, there are many factors that get decided upon. In order to make these divorces finalized, spouses need to know how they will continue on after the divorce. This means that during mediation or during litigation, there will be decisions on a few important topics. These topics include child support, child custody, spousal support, division of marital assets and more. However, changes may need to be made to these decisions. When spouses go their separate ways after divorce, their lives will obviously change. They may eventually get remarried or become very successful in their profession. When these changes occur, decisions made during the previous divorce may need to be readjusted to fit their current standing.

Why are modifications made?

When judges are deciding on important factors during a divorce, they can only consider the current situation. Present factors of the case are considered by the judge to make fair and just decisions. However, changes in the lives of the spouses in the future can affect the judge’s previous decision. It may come to the court’s attention that one spouse has become very successful and has earned more money. This may lead the court to alter the current state of child support or alimony. Other factors such as illness or unemployment can also cause a modification to previously made decisions.

Child custody can also be adjusted depending on the situation that the child is in. If a parent has noticed negative changes in a child’s behavior or school performance, they may realize it is due to their time with their previous spouse. This can lead them to get the court back involved in the matter to decide what is in the best interest of the child.

How can my spouse be enforced to follow court orders?

Court orders that are passed during a judgment of divorce are binding. People do not have a choice; they have to abide by the legal guidelines set by the judge. If one party is failing to honor these judgments, the other party can take action. They have the right to do so in order to acquire what is legally supposed to be theirs.

You can file a post-judgment motion to enforce your right of acquiring the court-ordered demands. The court then has options regarding how they should handle the case. They may find the opposing party in contempt of court since they are not following court orders.

During this process, it is important to have an attorney. To best fix your situation, contact our professionals for legal counsel. We can help you decide which course of action is best for your situation. We will guide you through the process of acquiring what is rightfully yours.

Ross and Calandrillo, LLC is a full-service divorce, family, and real estate law firm located in Mountainside, New Jersey. For strong legal representation in all of your divorce or family law matters, contact Ross and Calandrillo, LLC to schedule a consultation.