Some divorces are much more dramatic than others. But, the truth is, every divorce is different. Even if you and your spouse are ending your relationship on good terms, there may still be tension and disagreements during the process. This is normal, but there are some things you can do that may help you have a low-conflict divorce.
How to Achieve a Low-Conflict Divorce?
- Practice acceptance. One thing to focus on when going into the process is accepting your situation. This can be difficult to do, but coming to terms with it will make the process easier. This is because it may alleviate some of the anger or denial you may feel.
- Be a flexible thinker. One of the most important things you can do in order to have a low-conflict divorce is to be flexible and willing to compromise. Go into it knowing that you will likely have to find a happy medium.
- Try to manage your emotions. There are many heightened emotions that come with divorce proceedings. It is normal to feel strong emotions and it is also normal to want to act on them, but this can impact your divorce proceedings. During this time, it is especially important to have healthy coping mechanisms to process these emotions.
- Communicate effectively. Communication is critical in any divorce. This is especially true when spouses are not on good terms. Be sure to leave your feelings out of it and speak concisely in a neutral tone. Having an experienced mediator can make all the difference when it comes to lessening hostility and conflict.
- It is understandable to feel misunderstood or disrespected during a divorce. You and your spouse may not be on the same page and that’s okay. It is important to know that your feelings are normal and valid.
- Focus on your behavior only. You can’t change how your spouse will act. You can only control your behavior. Keeping this in mind can be extremely helpful.
If you are getting a divorce in New Jersey, be sure to reach out to our firm as soon as possible. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through the process every step of the way. Contact us to speak with an experienced and dedicated divorce attorney.
Contact our Firm
Ross and Calandrillo, LLC is a full-service divorce, family, and real estate law firm located in Mountainside, New Jersey. For strong legal representation in all of your divorce or family law matters, contact Ross and Calandrillo, LLC to schedule a consultation.