Modifying Child Support in the State of New Jersey

Obtaining child support is one of the most important issues when parents get divorced. Very often, if the financially dependent spouse has custody of the children, he or she will request financial support for the children’s well-being in the event of a divorce. However, securing an agreement for child support payments does not necessarily finalize your terms forever.

Life changes, and if your situation now either calls for more financial assistance, or you believe your former spouse needs less financial assistance, there is a very good chance you are now seeking a modification to your agreement. If you wish to adjust the terms of your agreement, please read on to learn more about how the process works:

How does New Jersey calculate child support?

New Jersey calculates child support based on a variety of factors, however, child support is primarily established to mitigate the financial impact of your divorce on your child. When calculating child support, New Jersey courts will consider the following aspects:

  • Whether your child has special needs
  • How old your child is
  • Your and your former spouse’s current marital status
  • Your gross yearly income
  • Whether you have unreimbursed medical bills
  • Whether your child is attending college or seeking higher education
  • Your child custody terms

What are some valid grounds for requesting a child support modification?

As mentioned earlier, life always brings about change, so it is only natural you will require an adjustment to certain child support terms. You may request a child support modification for any of the following reasons:

  • An increase or decrease in income
  • A change in federal income tax law
  • Loss of job, or, on the flip side, a promotion
  • A spouse remarries
  • A spouse loses their home
  • The supporting parent has suffered a significant medical injury or condition

How do you modify the terms of your child support?

Once you hire an attorney, he or she will file a motion with the court to request a child support modification. Next, your attorney will present supporting evidence to prove that your situation has significantly changed, and that you truly need the terms of your child support updated. If you believe you need a modification, do not put it off. The sooner you act, the better. Our firm is here to help.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

Ross and Calandrillo, LLC is a full-service divorce, family, and real estate law firm located in Mountainside, New Jersey. One of the most important things you can do when going through a divorce is to hire a knowledgeable and compassionate divorce attorney. Do not settle for less than you deserve. For strong legal representation in all of your divorce or family law matters, contact Ross and Calandrillo, LLC to schedule a consultation.